Friday, March 31, 2006

Search Engines and News Stories

I have been away from my blog a bit. Many personal things going on to take up all of my creative energies. Now back to my entry.

Eventhough Google in of itself can be construed by some critics as being an online version of Big Brother, I have been using its search engine since late 2000. Earlier, I had used dogpile and earlier, back in 1999 it was Mamma and Metacrawler Now, it is google almost all the time. Back in 1996 I had used Yahoo. I use Yahoo today for its content and not for searching.

I have a Gmail account and I stay logged into and I have created my own customized page. I
mostly read tech related stories. The regular news stories of if it leads, it bleeds have just warned me thin. However, one of the most interesting articles online I have read lately is Snapper refusing to sell its mowers in Walmart. I believe I will never shop at Wal-Mart myself again. I seldom do as it is. Wal-mart is very unpleasant for me to shop. I, like others, are driven to shop there by the low prices. That Snapper story hit me hard personally. Snapper (the lawn mower company) is based out of McDonough, GA. They make all their fine lawnmowers in McDonough, Georgia and not in far flung places like China or Indonesia. Before reading that article, I had thought that was one of their plants. McDonough, a town I had lived in for a few years ago , lies approximately 30 miles south of Atlanta. McDonough was chosen by Amazon in the dot com hey day to build a distribution center. So the big warehouse was built. Some friends and I even applied for jobs at Amazon in McDonough, GA. My guess is Amazon stayed open for less than 2 years in McDonough, GA. Its closing by Amazon was part of the NASDAQ fall out or dot com flame out which started in the spring of 2000.

At the bottom right of the customized Google page are Words of the Day:
benignant: kind; gracious; favorable.
invidious: tending to provoke envy or ill will.

Perusing at these words reminds me of the endless hours I spent prepping for the SAT and GRE as young'n. Maybe I should incorporate them somehow in my blog, if I were update it daily.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home